Agile Finland Thesis Awards 2023
Agile Finland r.y. is on a mission to grow the agile ecosystem in Finland. We aim to provide a great collaborative community, where people can create great content and share their learnings. We believe that agile is not a method, but a way of thinking about software development that can lead us to a bright and happy future. This new way of thinking is open to learning more about the ways we organise ourselves and do things in organisations small and large.
Agile Finland r.y. would like to acknowledge master’s theses of special merit related to the field of agile development, by awarding a cash prize of 1 000 € to each of the four best theses published in the years of 2022 or 2023.
We hope that these awards will encourage master’s students towards choosing agile topics in their theses, and thus bring the agile field forward on both the scientific and the practical side. We also hope that this will be the start of a great annual tradition.
The awards will be given in four categories. A thesis can be nominated in either the Academic or the Applied Science Award categories (but not both), and will automatically also be eligible for the Industry and Public Favourite Awards. However, a thesis cannot win more than one award.
Category 1 & 2: the Academic Award (university students) and the Applied Science Award (students at universities of applied science)
The Academic Award and the Applied Science Award will be given to two theses with a high degree of novelty, potentially high levels of industry and academic impact, and performed using high academic standards. The Academic Award applies only to university students, and the Applied Science Award applies only to students at universities of applied science. The winners are chosen by the professors on the Agile Finland Academic Network, who also decide on the selection process.
Category 3: the Industry Award
The Industry Award will be given to the thesis with the highest practical or business impact, as chosen by an expert reviewer. For the 2023 award, the expert reviewer and judge will be Maarit Laanti, PhD.
Category 4: the Public Favourite Award
The Public Favourite Award will be given to the thesis that receives the largest number of votes from the members of Agile Finland r.y.
To be eligible for the 2023 awards, the following criteria must be fulfilled:
- The thesis supports the mission of Agile Finland r.y., by being related to agile theory or a field of application. This includes but is not limited to agile processes and roles, leadership and organisation, strategy, tools, infrastructure, culture and identity, organisational development, etc.
- The thesis has been published and is publicly available.
- The thesis has been (or will be) accepted in the calendar years of 2022 or 2023 by a Finnish university or university of applied sciences.
- The nomination is submitted to Agile Finland r.y. before December 17, 2023 by the author, the instructor or the thesis supervisor.
For more information, contact email@example.com.
To apply, the nominating supervisor and the thesis author should send a free-form e-mail with the relevant attachments and links to firstname.lastname@example.org. We accept one nomination per supervisor for each submission period, and the nomination can be submitted any time before the submission deadline (Dec 17, 2023)
The following information should be included:
- The thesis itself, complete with cover page and abstract (either in PDF format, or as a link to an online thesis archive where it can be freely downloaded).
- Contact information for both the nominating supervisor and the author.
- The thesis evaluation and any other qualitative statements about the thesis created as part of the university’s evaluation process.
- A short written statement (max. ½ page) motivating how this thesis is connected with agile thinking and why you believe this thesis stands out among the rest.
- A free-form layman’s summary of the thesis (max. ½ page), to be used when the thesis is presented for the Public Favourite Award.
Please ensure that you receive an acknowledgement in reply.
The winner of each category will receive 1 000 € and a diploma in a formal ceremony at the next Scan Agile conference, the largest annual agile conference in the Nordics. (For taxation purposes, the prize will be considered as a stipend for studies or scientific research.) The winners will also have an opportunity to make a presentation of the thesis in that conference.
May the best theses win!